Re[2]: chris@w3.org - I won't check what it has!!!

On Wednesday, January 30, 2002, 12:00:36 AM, Vix wrote:

V> I received an empty email with no attachments from chris@w3.org and its size was 158 KB.
V> An old advice used to say: don't click on attachments from people that you don't know!

I guess the advice should also say "and whose IP address you also know".

The email was not from me.

V> Yet, if you are using OUTLOOK or OUTLOOK EXPRESS, I recommend that
V> you scan it now because OUTLOOK attempts to download the attachment
V> as soon as the e-mail is opened!!!

There are security patches that can help with some of this. I don't
know the details as i don't use either otlook or outlook Express, both
are disabled on my system with invalid smtp and pop servers and an
empty windows address book, plus both programs are specifically
forbidden to acces the internet on my system, my zonealarm firewall
blocks them. So I am veru confident no-one gets an outlook virus from me.

However, some people may get such a virus that says its from
chris@w3.org, because anyone can set their mailer to have such a From:
field trivially. And some people seem to have done that.

V> One more comment:
V> The e-mail was sent by chris@w3.org (which could be easily spoofed)

It was spoofed.