Re: Recommended practice on selector compatibility

>> How does one best formulate the selector for a class named 'heading 1'?
>
>Classes are space separated lists of words, so that is actually two
>classes, "1" and "heading".

Thank you for the clarification, I actually missed this fact. So, even if
I wrote this in the original XML (for CSS2 compliant UA):

  <par class="heading\0000201">...</par>

it would not work because the string "heading\0000201" would not be
unquoted using the CSS2 (un-)escaping rules before matching it against
available CSS2 rules, but taken as exactly that literal, I guess. This
means I cannot do what I had in mind and thus makes my query almost
irrelevant. (I might use non-breaking spaces instead of spaces, as a last
resort.)

One question however remains:

>By following the escape with a space (which is ignored), as in:
>
>   "\0041 B"
>
>...which is identical to:
>
>   "AB"

Does this actually work in CSS1? I have read the relevant portion in the
spec, and - contrary to the one in CSS2 - it does not say anything about
one single trailing space after an escape needing to be ignored. Also,
the grammar does not indicate this in any way.

Suppose a class name of A*B, where * is the bullet character 0x2022, and
we have it in the XML instance like <par class="A&#8226;B" />.

Can I use "A\2022 B" for both, CSS1 and CSS2? Will the CSS1 comliant
parser correctly drop the single space before "B"?

Regards, Christian.