Re: CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, fantasai wrote:

> I think we need an 'auto' value for the content property.

CSS3 will have a 'normal' value which does basically that.

> If you answered three, read part II [...]

I read part II of

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Jun/0006.html

...over a year ago, see

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Jun/0008.html

...for my reply.

> Just bringing this up again, since no one gave me an answer:
>
>  | Given "vertical-align: inherit", and a parent with a keyword,
>  | what inherits? The computed distance from the baseline or the
>  | keyword?
>  | Likewise for 'background-position'.
>
> from http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Nov/0005.html

'background-position' is a known open issue. I'll add 'vertical-align'
to the list.

> There's been a lot of confusion, and hence a lot of discussion, about
> text-decoration in CSS2. [1] The CSS3 Text draft clarifies a lot of
> these issues. I think it would be a good idea for CSS2.1 to adopt
> some of the CSS3WD explanations in CSS2.1.

Agreed.

> BIG and SUP are both descendents--do they both get underlined?

The underline from the <p> happens to also cross the boxes of the
<sup> and <big> elements.

> How does letter spacing affect the space between words? [...]
>
> If I wrote
>   <pre>two  spaces</pre>
> how would word-spacing and letter-spacing affect the gap between
> 'two' and 'spaces'?

I'll raise this as an issue.

Thanks!