Re: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Svgdeveloper@aol.com wrote:

> You claim "huge" traction measured "in the number of pages".
>
> A quick visit to Google this morning indicates that almost 2.5 billion pages
> are indexed. Relative to that figure what numbers ... you did say this was
> specified in numbers of pages ... constitutes "huge traction" for XHTML?

As Rijk van Geijtenbeek suggested, huge traction, for me, means that
Mozilla could not switch to interpreting XHTML-sent-as-text/html as XML,
because it would break enough sites that users would notice and switch
browsers.

The point is that the use of XHTML on the web is on the increase. XHTML
has not been ignored. It would have been nice if authors had ignored it
until UAs all handled text/xml well, but unfortunately, they did not, and
so XHTML has entered the growing group of versions of HTML that UAs have
to treat as tag soup. I wish the XHTML WG had never mentioned "backwards
compatible XHTML". Too late now, I guess.