Re: CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

Coises wrote:

> [Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:19:34 -0400] fantasai:
> >I think we need an 'auto' value for the content property.
>
> It seems this is anticipated here:
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20020220/#list-content0
> where it is assumed that "none" and "auto" will be defined for the
> "content" property.  (As yet, no working draft for the Generated Content
> module of CSS3 has been published, so we can't look up "content" directly.)
> I would suggest introducing:
>      content: none
> as the appropriate CSS 2.1 value (since "content: auto" could only mean
> "none" in CSS 2.1).

If there's no difference between
  content: none;
and
  display: none;
then I don't think 'none' should be an accepted value for 'content'.

Also,

  If CSS3 extends 'content' to real elements, its initial value
  must be 'auto' (self), not 'none' (nothing). Therefore, the
  initial value of 'content' in CSS2 cannot be 'none'.

  To avoid the problem I described earlier, either
     - CSS2 must define :before and :after not to exist in
       the presence of replaced content, and remove the
       image + alt text example,
    or
     - the initial value for 'content' in CSS2 must somehow
       invoke "display: none" so that the box for :before/
       :after disappears. CSS can define 'auto' to do this
       for :before/:after or leave out the value's literal
       representation entirely.

> (However, if it is not desired to introduce "auto" as a border
> color value in CSS 3, we should instead allow "initial" as a
> border color value in CSS 2.1.)

I'd go with 'initial' for CSS2 border-color, if anything. It
seems more sturdy than guessing at the future CSS3 Box Model.

~fantasai