Re: CSS 2.1 WD and non-CSS presentational hints

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> By loweing the weight of presentations hints, we increase the weight
> of user styles sheets. We make it easier for users to write style
> sheets that influence the presentation of documents.

Users, as has already been pointed out, generally don't know or care whether
the author uses <body> attributes or CSS to change the background of a page.
If their style rule overrides one and not the other, it will appear as a bug.

> We also signal to authors that deprecated features may actually go away one
> day.

That is /not/ the job of CSS. Has the WG not considered that CSS might be used
for a markup language where existing presentational hints are not deprecated--
or even on track to be deprecated [1]?

[1] DocBook, for instance. http://docbook.org/

~fantasai