Re: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> As it happens, when I read this message I had the Mercury News open in a
> browser window, so I looked at how they expressed headlines in HTML:
>
> <a
> href="http://ae.bayarea.com/entertainment/ui/bayarea/restaurant.html?id=60966&reviewId=11135"
> class="headline">Pizza heaven</a>
>
> This does not seem all that far removed from
>
> <fo:basic-link
> external-destination="http://ae.bayarea.com/entertainment/ui/bayarea/restaurant.html?id=60966&reviewId=11135"
> role="headline">Pizza heaven</fo:basic-link>

But that's not the point. Because an author marks up something badly, it
doesn't mean it justifies marking everything up badly. That's like
saying that since you've already murdered someone you mayaswell go on a
killing rampage.

> Interesting. I wasn't even aware of the VAR element. I wonder how many
> web developers are? And how many use it for its intended purpose?

I am. I do.

>> The sematics of HTML may be shallow, but it's just enough to enable
>> non-visual presentations which is critical for universal
>> accessibility.

> In 2002 anyone who thinks an H1 element really means anything other than
> "Make this a big, bold, block level element" is kidding themselves.

Really? So when I use stylesheets to make ti nothing more than a
different colour it's no longer a heading? A heading is a heading is a
heading. It doesn't have to be bold. It doesn't have to display as a
block. It's always a heading though.

--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/