Re: New Working Draft published: CSS3 module: Color

* Tantek Celik wrote:
>From: Dylan Schiemann <dylans@yahoo.com>
>Date: Thu, Mar 8, 2001, 5:32 PM
>
>> Regarding the X11 color keywords, I have to ask why
>> these are becoming part of the spec.?  Don't flame me
>> or take this as a flame, I just really want to know
>> why.
>
>In short, to codify common practice.

Common practise by whom? It's very seldom that someone comes around and
uses non-standard (CSS2) color names. People omit units, use '=' instead
of ':', omit commas, etc. but using other color names than those defined
in CSS Level 2 actually is seldom. Ok, MSDN propagates those color names
in [1], but that's not what I call 'common practise'.

Adding those color names means:

  * Incompatibility with CSS Level 2
  * Break with the WCAG 1.0 CSS Techs, which deprecates the use of color
    names in favour of RGB values
  * Bloating the module

Even the selection doesn't seem to be very good

  * they require a 24bpp display
  * they won't be used by non-english CSS authors
  * <see AndyT's mail>

I'd like to see those colors removed from the module; I don't see that
using them is 'common practise' and this won't be a good argument to
include them.

 [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/colors/colors.asp
 [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CSS-TECHS/#style-color-contrast
--