Re: Nested Lists and adjacent bullets

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Ann Navarro wrote:

> Tantek wrote:
>
>> Ian wrote:
>>
>>> All fine and good so far. However, if you have the nested list as
>>> the first node of the outer list, you end up with this:
>>>
>>>    Document:
>>>
>>>       <ol>
>>>         <li>
>>>           <ol>
>>>             <li>
>>>             </li>
>>>           </ol>
>>>         </li>
>>>       </ol>
>>>
>>>    Frame construction:
>>>
>>>       +<ol>--------------------------------------+
>>>       |       +<li>----------------------------+ |
>>>       |       | +<ol>------------------------+ | |
>>>       |       | |       +<li>--------------+ | | |
>>>       | +---+ | | +---+ | +<p>-----------+ | | | |
>>>       | | 1 | | | | 1 | | | bar          | | | | |
>>>       | +---+ | | +---+ | +--------------+ | | | |
>>>       |       | |       +------------------+ | | |
>>>       |       | +----------------------------+ | |
>>>       |       +--------------------------------+ |
>>>       +------------------------------------------+
>>>
>>>    Rendering:
>>>
>>>       1 1 bar
>>
>> FWIW, this is how IE5/Mac renders the above markup. Actually, with
>> periods after the numbers, more like this:
>>
>>          1. 1. bar
>
>  This rendering in IE5/Mac is erroneous.

Not per CSS2.

>  LI is a block element, and should in no way be presented, by
>  default, in a horizontal fashion. The result should have been
>
>  1.
>
>        1.  bar
>
> (reporting consensus from the WG)

Which WG? The HTML working group does not have the authority to
specify how CSS should lay out. The current position of the CSS
working group [1] is that nested block level elements overlap top
margins, and so the rendering I show at the top is correct. To achieve
the rendering you are looking for, you would need to use the :before
pseudo-element to insert an empty inline box.

[1] based on published information.

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'