Re: Stretchy backgrounds? (background-width,height properties)

Stuart Ballard wrote:

> Stuart Ballard wrote:
> >
> > Since I cannot find any argument *against* this functionality anywhere
> > at all other than the second-hand comment in the message I linked, I
> > would like to ask what it would take to re-open this issue for possible
> > inclusion in CSS3.
>
> I did a bit more searching and realized that the reason I hadn't been
> able to find the old discussion was that it was using the term
> "background-size" rather than "background-width/height". It appears
> that, (possibly contrary to what I had heard) there is no apparent
> actual opposition to this idea.

Yes. In fact, stretchy backgrounds are rather appealing, especially
given vector image formats such as SVG that stretch rather nicely.

> So I'd like to apologize for the tone of my previous message, which was
> targetted at changing the minds of some non-existant people who are
> opposed to this, and instead simply ask whether this is still under
> consideration and what the chances are of seeing it in CSS3 (or any
> upcoming CSS3 drafts).

The chances would be improved if you would repost your description of
how it works here, since the news url you gave previously was nit
resolvable when I tried it today.

--
Chris