Re: replaced inlines [was: vertical-align content-generated image?]

Yes, see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#anonymous

> So, what happens if the element in question is "display: inline"?

If the element in question is an inline box, then I believe the
proposed value none should be indistinguishable from the value ''.

>>> Then how come a url causes two different results based on whether
>>> it's in the url() notation or the replaced() notation?
>> "Then how come a counter identifier causes two different results
>> based on whether it's in the counter() notation or the counters()
>> notation?"
> counter() and counters() both return type string, do they not? And
> the content property treats that string value as it does any other
> string value, does it not?
>
> AFAICT, the url() notation takes a string and returns type URI,
> which is handled differently from type string.

In the context of the 'content' property I imagine it returning the
type 'mixed context replaced content' (i.e., it is replaced content
but in the context of mixed data: it can appear in the middle of text,
and doesn't directly replace the element itself).

> The replaced() notation also takes a string, but what does
> replaced() return?

'replaced content' (it's own context, i.e. it makes the element be a
replaced element, so the 'height' and 'width' properties affect it
even if it is inline).

Not that I'd ever thought of it this way before.

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'