Re: activel inks?

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, AMollah wrote:

> In css there are properties for hyperlinks that can be visited,
> active, hover and link.

Actually, only ":link" and ":visited" are link-specific. :active, :hover
and :focus apply to all elements, including, say, form controls.

> Active is a useless property as it seems to be only displayed in the
> period between when the link has been pressed and when the next page
> is loading (which is usually insignificant time).

:active is basically the time between the user clicking and the user
releasing the mouse button.

> A far better property would have been "current" (as in the url that is
> currently displayed in the browser window) - that is what I thought
> active meant at first, and it would be far more helpful to navigation
> than the property now known as "active". You just need to look how
> many sites use javascript or other methods to indcate that a link is
> to the current page.

The working group is currently considering additions to CSS related to
linking and style. Your idea is certainly an interesting one, and we shall
keep it in mind. Thanks!

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'