Re: icons for pages/sites/etc. (was Re: src attribute of IFRAME and FRAME)

Tantek Celik wrote:

>On another note, since an "icon" for a page is purely presentational, this
>really should be done with CSS instead (discussion redirected to www-style).

No, I don't think so. An icon for a page is purely a matter of chrome,
not presentation.

>Something like this should work:
>
> :root { icon:url(foo.gif); } /* pick a better property name? */
>
>This would enable you to set the "icon" for a particular child element as
>well, so that if you were to drag & drop just that child element to your
>desktop, the resulting file would have the specified icon.

Ah, this is a very different thing. You are here discussing a behavioral
thing more than a chrome feature. This becomes interesting ;-)

>By using linked style sheets, you could specify a default icon for your
>entire site, and then customize it for pages that required a page-specific
>icon.

I''m still uncertain about adding favicon's knowledge to CSS, what do
others think ?

</Daniel>