Re: WD-css3-color-20010305 comments

Etan Wexler wrote:

> Jens Müller pondered in response to me:
>
> >> "EM { color: rgb(255,0,0) }     /* RGB range 0-255   */"
> >>
> >> Eliminate the range restriction.
> >
> > Why?
>
> If the range restriction really existed, the declaration
> "color: rgb(300, 0, 0)" would be invalid and ignored.  Instead,
> CSS1 (<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#color-units>)
> dictates that user agents accept the declaration and clip the value
> to the sRGB gamut.  CSS2 (<file://localhost/h/www.w3.org/T
> R/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#color-units>) and CSS3
> (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-colo
> r-20010305#numerical>)  are even more lax, dictating that
> user agents accept the declaration and leaving clipping as an issue
> of the device gamut.

Yes, though its not a case of being lax. Its a caseof preserving color
inmformation - those could be real printable colors, though oyutside the
sRGB gamut.

> CSS1 clips computed color values while CSS2 and CSS3 clip
> actual color values.

Yes.

>  In no case does CSS impose a range
> restriction on specified color values.  Therefore we should
> eliminate the stated range restriction.

Right. Those comments added to the CSS2 spec are contrary to the actual
word of the CSS2 spec and should be removed 9should not have bee there,
in fact).

--
Chris