Re: Regular Expressions as CSS Selectors?

Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> schrieb/wrote:
> * Claus Färber wrote:
>> what about adding regular expressions to the CSS selector syntax?

> I'm in doubt there is any good reason to select parts of a text node
> besides ::first-(line|letter|word). If there is something special about
> a certain part of it, you should mark up it with appropriate markup.

Well, it certainly is Yet Another Language Element That Can Be
Abused. However, in some cases there might be no special meaning
associated with the part of the text at all or the meaning might
be fully reflected with existing markup.

For example, I might want to write the site owner's name in a
different colour. As there's no adequate element in HTML, I'd have
to use something like span.myname - not really something that
carries meaning.

Another application might be to write every letter (or other parts
of a word) in different colours; without regexps you'd have to use

Then of course, regexps for attribute selectors have a completly
different are of applications.

Claus
--
begin  Your-so-called-newsreader-is-seriously-broken
unless you can read this.