RE: background-Image Problem with Netscape Communicator 4.7

as a follow-up to this (didn't find a similar follow-up issue on a search) -

Netscape 4.76 breaks Netscape's adherence to the no-underscores rule, but
unfortunately substitutes very anomalous (I haven't bothered to figure it
out) styling - ie neither plaintext (as expected in Net 4.70 and previous,
nor as if there were no underscores (as in IE5)).

While Microsoft should be decried for being "too lenient", it is far worse
(IMHO) to allow "silent bugs" like this in. For those of who (in retrospect,
foolishly) didn't validate their CSS and allowed an underscore in - the
change from 4.70 to 4.76 amounts to breaking the UI.

(strangely, the anomalous styling occurs whenever the class names within the
CSS file have underscores, whether the class references in the HTML file has
underscores or no (implying some weirdness in the CSS parsing for
Netscape) - if the HTML file has underscores and the CSS file doesn't - then
the text is styled plain).

I haven't yet determined at what intermediate version the underscore problem
was introduced but know that at 4.70 it was plain and at 4.76 it was screwy.
If anyone wants to know the details - email me and I'll let you know when I
find out.

I have samples, and a little php-tool for displaying CSS sample-sheets if
anyone cares to see.

best

Tim

Tim Diggins