Re: Shrinkwrap, Floats, and Tables

--- fantasai <fantasai@escape.com> wrote:
>  | An example of filling the available space would be:
>  | <div style="float: left; width: 40%">
>  | </div>
>  | <p>
>  | </p>
>  | That would cause the P to wrap around the float, apparently
>  | filling the space.
>
> I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to do here. Is the

E.g.,

Content in a DIV that will be 40% wide.
P will wrap around the DIV.
P will wrap around the DIV.

Thus:

Content in a DIV   P will wrap around
that will be 40%   the DIV. P will wrap
wide.              around the DIV. P will
wrap around the DIV.

>  | > But this is incorrect use of tables, and the browser's table
>  | > layout is contrary to the CSS2 spec (unless, perchance, tables
>  | > are regarded as replaced elements?).
>  | <q cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#q5">
>  | In terms of the visual formatting model, a table may behave like a
>  | block-level or replaced inline-level element.
>  | </q>
>  | This statement is slightly inaccurate.  It doesn't define what it
>  | behaves like as block-level; correct would be 'a table will
>  | behave like a block-level replaced or inline-level replaced
>  | element'.
>
> Why would a table be regarded as block-level replaced? It's not
> replaced. I think the spec here is fine the way it is.

It does actually say that elsewhere (at 17.4):

<q>
In terms of the visual formatting model, a table may behave like a
block-level or replaced inline-level element.
</q>

But the point is that it behaves as replaced because the effect of the
table algorithms is that; in addition, to treat it as non-replaced implies
certain things in terms of the way that its margins are calculated.

I hadn't actually noticed the 17.4 quote when I wrote this; this (that one
might not notice everything) is inevitable when the spec gets as large as CSS2.

=====