Re: Rounded corners

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Chris Lilley wrote:
>Jonny Axelsson wrote:
>>
>> This is not my idea, and I have no use for it personally. But when I
>> thought about it, it is rather intriguing. In a word:
>>          TABLE {corner:1 solid black radius(5);}
>> Source: <http://buzz.builder.com/cgi-bin/WebX?14@179.yHr5adnDjw6^0@.ee7eb51/0>
>>
>> If nothing else, it'll make CSS3 a stronger competitor to Adobe Pagemaker...
>
>OK, now flesh out the proposal. The samples cited at the url above were
>

>                      TABLE {corner:1 solid black radius(5);}
>                      DIV {corner:2 dotted red chamfer(6,45);}
>
>It seems to me that a simpler proposal would be to extend the background
>property to allow "stretch to fit" as well as "tile" as a way to cover a
>given background with a graphic which may not be exactly the same size as
>the background.
>
>This would work well with vector graphics, and particularly well with SVG;
>an image that gives you a quarter-elipse is a tiny SVG file, and can be
>displayed at any size with full fidelity, and can inherit colors from the
>parent document.

You would need some way of telling the rest of the page to flow round it,
I'd expect.  Imagine that you have a box containing a SVG of a rhombus,
and you want the text to do something like this:

Rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and
custard  rhubarb and custard  rhubarb and custard  rhubarb and custard
rhubarb and                               custard  rhubarb and custard
rhubarb  and                               custard  rhubarb and  custard
rhubarb    and                               custard rhubarb and custard
rhubarb     and                               custard   rhubarb   and
custard  rhubarb                               and custard   rhubarb and
custard   rhubarb                               and custard  rhubarb and
custard    rhubarb                               and custard rhubarb and
custard     rhubarb                               and  custard   rhubarb
and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard  rhubarb and custard
rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and

... but, you know, better.

How do you do that?

--
Tim Bannister - isoma@compsoc.man.ac.uk
   "All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets" - Kevin Smith