Re: CSS2 & background : video possible?

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Teemu Ropponen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Section 14.2. of the CSS2 spec introduces the possibilty of using a color
> or image as the background of an element. In some of our research
> interests (e.g., digital tv) we'd like a background video (or sound). If
> we have a user agent that could handle such bg-video, would a style sheet
> that exploits this feature be in violation of the spec ??
>
> ( i.e. BODY { background: white url("video.mpg") }

I believe the specification allows it (although I doubt there is any
browser support for it). However,  it seems a bit as if you're trying
to squeeze multimedia features (text overlaid on video) onto HTML, which
might not be the beset way to go.  Have you looked at multimedia XML
dialects, such as SMIL [1], to see if that provides a better option
for your application?

Ian
--
[1] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/