Re: inline forms?

David Wagner wrote:

> Walter Ian Kaye asked
> >
> > Is there some way to have two forms on the same line? I tried
> >
> >   FORM { display: inline }
> >
> > but it only turned a double linespace into a single linespace.
> > I'm trying to make it *zero* linespace, so both forms are on
> > the same line.
> >
> > Can CSS do this?
> >
> Yes, if your browser supports CSS.

I.e. this is properly an implementation question for
news://comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets - there is nothing to
stop any element being inline, block or anything else, otherwise there
would be no point in CSS.

> You may be able to specify width:auto instead, but
> no guarantees it will work in any but the most compliant browsers.

Or incompliant: AFAIK (without checking - from memory), invalid use of
width, to set the width of *inline* elements only works in MSIE.

Simply FORM {display: inline} *should* be sufficient. However, it is
quite possible that you fall foul of the HTML dtd, which might actually
be the cause of the problem. E.g., <p>You can enter some text here:
be parsed as:

<!-- Anonymous block -->

Therefore you are required to use a DIV, which is without semantic
value; perhaps this is oversight in HTML.

Please visit http://RichInStyle.com. Featuring:
MySite: customizable styles.         AlwaysWork style
Browser bug table covering all CSS2 with links to descriptions.
Lists of > 1000 browser bugs         Websafe Colorizer
CSS2, CSS1 and HTML4 tutorials.      CSS masterclass
CSS2 test suite: 5000++ tests and 300+ test pages.