Re: px vs. pt

Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> >"I'm sorry I couldn't use terms that EVERYONE would understand, but
> >basically: inches / cm / pt won't really work for images, because they'd get
> >translated to differing dpi, just like the fonts, and then we'd have
> >pixellated-looking scaled images. eeewwwww."

Well, that depends on how the image is resampled. Nothing *requires* the
awful, nearest-neighbor algorithm that HTML browsers seem to use.

> It was plenty to clear to me...
>
> Isn't this what SVG is for?
>         http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/

The anbswer is yes, on two levels. Firstly if course, vector images rescale
perfectly. But secondly, a raster image included with the svg 'image'
element can be resampled correctly, using bicubic interpolation, and
therefore looks a whole lot better. Or you can use px units for the width
and height if you don't want the resampling (for example, indexed images
with few colors - but then these should be done as vectors anyway most
likely).

--
Chris