Re: Cursors

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> > Cursor: link should be introduced as the same as cursor: pointer (much
> > in the same way as lower-alpha was ambiguous and therefore lower-latin
> > was introducted).
>
> How is the current value of "pointer" ambiguous?

It doesn't say what kind of pointer - lower-alpha presumed that the
latin alphabet was the only one, which was rectified by lower-latin; so
too should be true for pointer.

> What is the difference between "pointer" and "link"?

None. It's just easier to remember.

> > Also there should 'DisabledLink' and 'Disabled' values.
>
> What would these cursors look like and/or mean?

Win IE renders the former with a hand with a stop sign through it, and
the latter as a plain stop sign.

The meaning in the first case is link that is inaccessible due to the
browser being offline, and in the second case I'm not sure but I think I
remember seeing it once (on this basis great standards are built :-)).

> Are there current user interface examples which utilize such cursors, or
> examples of applications that would take advantage of such cursors?

See above.

> > (BTW: Is there no intention to be able to describe 'Tooltips' in CSS, or
> > will it appear in some other module than the UI one?)
>
> It would certainly be useful (and desirable) to describe tooltips in CSS, but
> we don't currently have all the pieces necessary to do this in a proposal.
> At a minimum what is needed is something like a :tooltip pseudo-element

In general I would find it useful to be able to generate content using
:before and :after and positioning. At present one cannot do dynamic
generated content using CSS, and I feel it would be desirable to allow
it.

Something like this:

1. User agents are not required to support dynamic reflow of documents
due to factors such as different font sizes with different
pseudo-classes. However, they are required to support the positioning of
generated content when used with the :before and :after pseudo-elements.
For example, to describe the 'tooltip' they could use this code:

A[title]:before:hover {position: relative;
top: 30px;
left: -30px;
width: 5em;
display: block;
padding: .2em;
overflow: extend;
border: infoBorder;
background: info;
color: info;
font: infotext
content: attr(title)}

This still doesn't deal with two things:

1. The window sensing - if a tooltip would otherwise overflow the
window, it will be placed down and right instead of up and left. This
kind of thing can't be specified with CSS, unless we have a 'tooltip'
display type that does just that for us (and also caters for the
problems with where the thing should be positioned, and probably the
width and height of the thing as well).

Please visit http://RichInStyle.com. Featuring:
MySite: customizable styles.         AlwaysWork style
Browser bug table covering all CSS2 with links to descriptions.
Lists of > 1000 browser bugs         Websafe Colorizer
CSS2, CSS1 and HTML4 tutorials.      CSS masterclass
CSS2 test suite: 5000++ tests and 300+ test pages.