Re: table backgrounds

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:05:22 -0400, "Braden N. McDaniel"
(braden@shadow.net) wrote:Chris Karnaze (karnaze@netscape.com) wrote:

> But then the question becomes: if a row and column specify different
> backgrounds, which wins? Who's on top?

This question is actually answered quite clearly in section in section
17.5.1 of CSS2 [1].  The answer is basically the same as yours:  the
backgrounds should be drawn in the order table, then column groups,
then columns, then row groups, then rows, then cells.  I have written
a few tests for this behavior [2].

However, the statements "the (rows/row groups) cover the whole table"
[1] makes it seem that the rows must also cover the vertical
cell-spacing (I think we seem to agree that they should cover the
horizontal cell-spacing).  This seems wrong to me.  I think it was
meant to imply only that every cell is in a row and in a rowgroup
(whereas the columns and column groups need not fill the whole table).

David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#table-layers
[2] http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/csstest/sec170501
    http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/csstest/sec170501a