RE: Suggestion about multi-column

Hmm. Actually, I think you could do one better than that
by defining named boxes in CSS with an at-rule, something
like this:

@overflow-box boxname {declarations}

The default display value would be block.

and then allowing a function value "into(boxname)"
for the overflow property.

I think it would be pretty simple, and flexible.