Re: Charsets/Encodings

Nicolas Lesbats writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I have some problems with characters encoding.
 >
 > Suppose I have a tag :

 > Can I write directly (that's to say without using entities) any
 > iso-8859-1 character ? IE accepts it (maybe because it doesn't recognize
 > the preceding tag), but Netscape no (it only displays characters between
 > the beginning and 128).

The characters 128-255 either have to be encoded as UTF-8 (i.e., using
two bytes for each character), or they have to be entities.

If you are not using a real UTF-8 editor, you are probably not
generating correct UTF-8. In that case Netscape is correct in ignoring
the accented characters. Maybe IE has some clever error-recovery?

 > Suppose now I have the same tag with iso-8859-1.
 >
 > Can I generate non-iso-8859-1 characters through a CSS stylesheet (which
 > recognizes utf-8 characters) ?

Are you referring to the ':before' and ':after' pseudo-elements of
CSS? In theory yes, but I think those pseudo-elements don't yet work
in the current browser versions.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA