RE: Comments

--- Bill dehOra <Wdehora@cromwellmedia.co.uk> wrote:

>    :  Given that
>    :  P {colour: red /* comment */}
>    :  isn't valid, should the declaration (i.e.,
> color: red)
>    :  be ignored as invalid?
>

> If you are referring to the comment placement, why
> isn't this valid? A
> comment can appear anywhere between tokens; here it
> appears between
> <whitespace> and a <}>, which are both tokens (in
> CSS2 at least).

No no no.

When you refer to <whitespace>, I presume you mean the
S token.

However, } isn't a token at all.
Here's the definition of
ruleset
  : selector [ ',' S* selector ]*
    '{' S* declaration [ ';' S* declaration ]* '}' S*
  ;
ruleset isn't a token - tokens are indicated by
uppercase.
E.g., the following is:
P {color: red }

one IDENT token, a { character, an IDENT token, a :
character, a S token, an IDENT token, a S token and a
} character.

Since the comment wouldn't be between tokens,

P {color: red /* comment */}
isn't valid, but
P {color: red /* comment */ }
is.

> From the CSS2 recc: 'COMMENT tokens do not occur in
> the grammar (to keep it
> readable), but any number of these tokens may appear
> anywhere between other
> tokens'.

> AFAIT, there is nothing in the recc to rule
> out nested comments.

It does say that at:

<q
cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#comments">