Re: UI WD

>From: Matthew Brealey
>Date: Fri, Nov 26, 1999, 5:23 AM

Matthew,

Thank you for the constructive feedback on the CSS UI working drafft.

 http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-userint

> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-userint#summary :
>
>> As a result, the rendering behaviors of the following
>> fourteen HTML4 tags and three HTML4
>> attributes could be deprecated:

<snip>

> I don't think so.

The summary specifically states that the *rendering* behaviors can be
deprecated.

> For example:
>
> DIV.field {
>  color: fieldText;
>  background: field;
>  border: fieldBorder;
>  font: field;
>  display: inline-block;
>  user-modify: read-write;
>  user-select: text;
> }

> How does the form processor make use of this - what is
> the DIV.field's NAME?

Yes, you are correct, the CSS UI working draft says nothing of what the form
processor makes use of.

As stated in the Scope section

 http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-userint#scope

"what specifically is believed to be outside the scope of CSS, or better
suited to document structure rather than style and therefore not addressed by
this proposal:
  * Form semantics, including, but not limited to, submission, resetting,
naming, what determines being successful or valid, and how to process form
data."

> Just add:
> [processor-]reference: "name of element";

That could certainly work to solve the problem, but I think the
Forms-Semantics needs you brought up are more appropriately addressed by the
excellent work being done in the Forms subgroup of the HTML working group:

 http://www.w3.org/Markup/Forms/

Tantek