Re: CSS character width unit missing: an oversight, methinks?

Nils Klarlund wrote:

> I have taken CSS quite seriously as a formatting model for typesetting
> or pretty-printing programming notations*.
>
> I need a way of indenting a div-box an amount of space that is a
> multiple of the character-width (I'm using a bold, fixed-with font).

In the Mozilla engine you can use the 'ch' unit. ie:
div { width: 80ch; }

This only works for certian horizontal measurements (I seem to remember
only widths, but I could be wrong) and only when there is a fixed width
font in effect for the formatting object, otherwise it is ignored.

I believe this has been proposed (at least informally) for CSS3. You can
take this as a formal proposal if you want...

Peter