Re: Sentence spacing and nested quotes

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Scott K. Laws wrote:
> BTW, I have recently heard that double spacing after a sentence is no
> longer concidered nessarry/correct in english.  I still use it though.

I believe that this was originally the convention when we used
typewriters, but that it is considered wrong on modern word processors,
etc., since they can adjust the spacing automatically. TeX certainly does
this, so spaces after abbreviations have to be quoted to prevent them
being lengthened.

Tim Bagot