Re: browser, rez, OS issues

Victoria Rosenfeld wrote:

> Using CSSes requires the web page developer to take into account which
> browser (but what doesn't), which OS and what the resolution of the
> monitor is. Right?

What I take into account is whether a property is supported, using
Eric Meyer's Master Grid at:
http://www.webreview.com/guides/style/mastergrid.html

> I mean everything I'vedone with CSSes has required this hoop jumping.
> PLEASE - If I got it wrong, let me know! I'll stop putting JavaScript
> checking for browser & OS issues onto my pages, and annoying msgs saying,
> "This page best viewed at yyy x zzz resolution."

My preference is to use a conservative sub-set of CSS which will
either be rendered legibly on CSS aware browsers, or degrade
gracefully on non-CSS aware browsers. When you re-direct based on
Javascript detection, do you have to maintain separate documents?  For
me, that would severely diminish the value of CSS.

> Has there been a "fix" or an acknwledged work around to these issues?

I'm not sure what specific issues you mean, but discussions in the
stylesheets newsgroup has led to a bug/workaround table here:
http://home.att.net/%7Esjacct/bugs.html (last updated er... about 10
minutes ago).

The newsgroup, BTW, is news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

Sue Jordan