Re: the BOX properties

michael <michael@net-make.com> wrote:

>Working with IE4 (win95), this works as expected:
>
>BODY
>{
>border-top: solid;
>border-bottom: solid;
>border-left: solid;
>border-right: solid;
>border-color: #000000;
>border-width: 5pt;
>}
>
>The results are very different in NN4 though. Navigator treats this
more as
>a table border than a document border - outlining the contents of the
doc
>rather than a solid border around the window.

Margins are outside borders. If BODY is a block-level element and has
margins by default, the border produced by the above declarations should
not abut the edge of the window.

In IE4, both margins and padding on BODY are within the border, as is
the scroll bar for the window. I don't find anything in the CSS1 spec
that would cause me to expect this.

NN4.01 is rendering margins outside the border, which is in accordance
with the spec.

David Perrell