Re: List styles - a wish list item

Tim Bagot wrote:

> But is rather limited, since you need separate rules for each level of
> nesting, even where the same sort of numbering is used. I feel that it
> would be useful (CSS3?) to be able to include the :before content of the
> containing list element, or possibly use some sort of looping to access
> parent counters sequentially.

Yes, this is a possible solution but I would prefer to be able to access
in declarations attached to a LI the counter() value of the LI ancestors...
Decoration boxes are not elements and their content is not meant to
be accessible by a content() notation. In my opinion, at least.... ;-)
Then we could have for 1st and 2nd level lists with decimal numbering
for 1st level and lower-case alpha for 2nd something like :

  OL { counter-reset(item) }
  OL > LI:before { counter(item) ". " ;
                   counter-increment: item }
  OL > LI > OL > LI:before { content: counter(item, 1, arabic) "." counter(item, 0, lower-alpha) ". " ;
			counter-increment: item }

Specificity would then give the correct marker to 1st and 2nd level items.

The example above is a bad example because it breaks the existing order of
arguments of the counter functional notation. But this 'way' of doing nested
numberings is surely another simple and low-cost solution.

</Daniel>