Re: platform-specific font size issues

Ian Hickson replied:

>On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Todd Fahrner wrote:
>> CSS pixel units [...]  are not user-scalable
>
>FWIW, they are in Opera. There is a "zoom" control that works
>correctly, scaling *all* values. IE is broken in this respect.

This is neat. I can think of many UI-based ways to cut the knot, but I think
it highly unlikely that UA developers will accept uniform UI standards
("Thou shalt have a zoom function, accessible via user telepathy") - it's a
key differentiator. My proposal was deliberately conceived to have the least
impact on orthogonal issues such as UI. Nobody, I daresay, regards a 12pt
default as a competitive feature. I just want 12pt to mean roughly the same
thing for the screen media type everywhere. If the physical res is known to
be very different than 96ppi, the UA should be scaling anyway, per CSS1.