From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
To: Jonas Salling <salling@cooper.xanthus.se>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: null-values for css-properties?
Date: Monday, May 26, 1997 6:47 PM

Jonas Salling writes:

 > It seems to me that the CSS1 specification lacks a good
 > mechanism for disabling non-numeric properties like
 > text-decoration.
 >
 > Let me give you an example, just to show what I mean
 > by "disabling":
 >

 > P { text-decoration: underline blink; }
 >
 > <P>I want this paragraph to be rendered according to
 > my style sheet except for the last two words, where
 > I don't want the <SPAN style: text-decoration: there
 > is no no-blink value!!!>blink property</SPAN>.</P>

Since the various values of properties don't inherit independently,
you could say:

  P { text-decoration: underline blink }
  SPAN { text-decoration: underline }

  <P>I want this paragraph to be rendered according to
  my style sheet except for the last two words, where
  I don't want the <SPAN>blink property</SPAN>.</P>

The fact that underline is not set on the SPAN element means it will
not blink.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria §°þ#¡ª FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome