RE: DOM, markup, and "dynamic html"

At 14:59 -0700 5.22.97, Scott Isaacs wrote:

> <H1 style="cursor: hand">Displays a hand over the header without the
> need for the extra anchor</H1>

I recall some discussion of proposed extensions to CSS like "cursor style,"
but can't find documentation. Is a list of CSS extensions in IE4 available?

> 2) In preview 2, the src attribute on script will be supported to
> reference external scripts. Scripts are not supported in CSS.

Can you say whether there will be some UI to assign "personal scripts"
paralleling personal style sheets in IE4? (Or whether you think there's
something to the idea?) Such scripts could mend some of the problems with
"cascading" discussed here recently, and help establish a UI paradigm that
might eventually accommodate dsssl-o or other more comprehensive "style
programs."

> 3) The DIV is wrapping the child content for simplicity reasons qand was
> purely an implementation decision on my part. Examining the code, you
> will notice that this example took a total of 6 lines of code for all
> the expanding and collapsing in the document. The code is generalized
> enough for any document that is properly authored to take advantage of
> expanding and collapsing.  While I didn't do it, it is also possible to
> even generalize the code even further to require none of the extra
> markup and be completely generalized.> I was too overworked to take this
> on at the time I authored the code :-) However, I have written code that
> can make any bulleted lists expand and collapse without any additional
> markup beyond pasting a script or reference to the script in the
> document. The code works by tracking all clicks in the document,
> checking the scope of the click (is it in a bulleted list), and if so
> then hides or shows any child lists if they exist.

I can't tell whether this means you are surfacing an object tree, or
whether you have devised a workaround that delivers comparable
functionality. Can you clarify?

I am very happy to hear that it works either way, and thank you for having
sacrificed a few precious metabolic cycles to reply.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923