Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings

I wrote:
>   BODY { font: normal normal normal 12pt/13pt sans-serif; }
> then Navigator renders the entire document in a 12 point
> san serif face.  Headings are not bolded, emphasized sections
> are not emphasized. [...]

I'm not quite right -- bold disappears but italics do not
in Navigator 4.01.  I have some screen shots, see below.

> Maybe it's time for screen shots.

I now have a sample document and screen shots of Navigator 3.02
and 4.01 as well as IE 3.02 and 4.0 pp2.  They are available from
   http://www.emf.net/~estephen/htmlner/stylebugs.html

(I have the advantage of having two Win95 computers available, one
with the two 3.x browsers and the other with the two 4.x browsers.
It is annoying that Microsoft doesn't let the 3.x and 4.x browsers
easily coexist, although I wouldn't be surprised to find out that
it's possible if one goes to some effort.)

At 05:09 PM 7/27/97 -0400, Liam Quinn wrote:
> No, the order of these is unimportant (see [1]).  If any of the font-
> style, font-weight, or font-variant values are left out of the font
> declaration, each is assigned its initial value of 'normal' (see [2]).

> [1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1#notation-for-property-values
> [2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1#font

Liam's right and I'm wrong, but the original style sheet rule is also
wrong.

eva included an example with:

According to Liam's [2] (cited above), the optional group
[ <font-style> || <font-variant>> || <font-weight> ]?
must occur before <font-size>, so the above style sheet
should be:

BODY { font: 12pt/13pt sans-serif }

The three normal values are default, or can be expressed as

BODY { normal normal normal font: 12pt/13pt sans-serif }

or simply

BODY { normal font: 12pt/13pt sans-serif }

I'm sure that's why eva's original example produced no effect in
Navigator 4.01 for me.
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>    http://www.emf.net/~estephen/