RE: Cascading Style Sheets

None of these issues should exist in a CSS-P/ CSS1 compliant
implementation.

We have finished our CSS-P implementation for IE4 Beta 2 that will be
available this month.

Let me know if the following are addressing your questions.

1) <DIV STYLE="position: absolute; top: 10pt; left: 10px; width: 10em;
height: 100px; background: red;border: 2pt gray inset"><DIV>
This displays a box with the background and border at the specified
dimension. This box can also sit on top of or behind the text by setting
the css z-index property (negative values put the positioned element
behind the text, positive z-index goes on top of the text)

2) You get much more clip and overflow support:
clip: rect(top bottom right left)
overflow: scroll | visible | hidden | auto

Clip works very similar to the attribute of the same name on the Layer
tag but supports percentages, em, pt, etc (all the CSS units)

Overflow is cool because you can cause scrollbars to appear if the
content does not fit in the box, you can cause the contents to only
display scrollbars if necessary (auto), visible automatically grows the
positioned element for the contents, and hidden clips the contents at
the specified size.

3) CSS has a "background" property that is very flexible. You can tile
the image, repeat it horizontally, vertically, position it at an
explicit location in the element (eg., bottom right), specify a fallback
color and more. These can be transparent gifs, png images, animated
gifs, etc. All of these features are defined in the CSS 1 specification.

In addition, every property can be scripted through IE4's Dynamic HTML
object model (for swipe effects, moving elements, accessing and changing
the contents, changing the appearance, etc) but that is independent from
CSS.

Scott Isaacs
Program Manager
IE4 Team