Re: New Working Draft: Positioning HTML Elements with Cascading Style Sheets

At 03:30 PM 1/31/97 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>A new Working Draft, produced by the W3C HTML ERB has been released:
>Positioning HTML Elements with Cascading Style Sheets
>http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-positioning

I like it a lot.  This gives me the all the abilities I was looking for in
CSS1 about a month ago, althouh it would be nice to be able to do quality
subscripting and superscripting using 'vertical-align'.

A couple of comments after looking at it briefly:

1) You never define what units are available.  I'd suggest allowing all
units available in 6.1 and 6.2 of the CSS spec: em, ex, px, in, cm, mm, pt,
pc, and %.  I don't think this can be assumed, given that some of the CSS
spec elements don't support all of them, so you might want to state it
explicitly.  Each ability to do things absolutely, relative to the canvas,
relative to the font, and as a proportion of the parent's dimentions is
important to a different purpose, and it's worth it to make this stuff as
general as possible.

2)Is there a particular reason that you can't make the line-height take
relative positioning into account?  If I have an image that forces the
line-height larger, then I subscript that image using {position:
relative...}, that will leave a large amount of white space above the image
and overlap the bottom.  While I can see the power of having the line-height
NOT adjust, it would be good to have the option.

Jim King
Product Manager
jimk@mathtype.com

Design Science, Inc.            Sales:   sales@mathtype.com
4028 Broadway                   Support: support@mathtype.com
Long Beach, CA 90803
USA                             World Wide Web:
voice: 562-433-0685                 http://www.mathtype.com
fax:   562-433-6969