  • From: Eric A. Meyer <eam3@po.cwru.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:21:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Subject: LINKing...
  • To: www-style@w3.org
    I was reading through the 'Containment in HTML' section of the CSS1
specification (again) in an attempt to fully understand LINKing and
@importing, and here's what it says:

"The 'LINK' element references alternative style sheets that the reader can
select, while imported style sheets are automatically merged with the rest
of the document."

Now, I seem to recall from reading Lie and Bos (although it's at home, so I
can't check it right now) that the first LINK is in fact applied to the
document as a sort of 'default,' and subsequent LINKed style sheets are
provided as alternatives in a pop-up menu or something along those lines.
   Is my recollection correct?  Or should browsers not apply any LINKed
styles until requested by the reader?  I would have looked to the CSS2
specification for help, but LINK doesn't appear in the Index, and I still
haven't found a section of the new spec. which summarizes containment as
neatly as CSS1 did.
   (ObCompatabilityNote: regardless of the actual answer, neither of the
Big Two Browsers handle LINK correctly-- it's treated as another @import,
when it's treated at all...)

--
Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
  Editor, WebReview's Style Sheets Reference Guide