Re: color specification in Cascading Style Sheets

On Dec 6,  5:34pm, Blair MacIntyre wrote:

> I've recently read the color part of the CSS specification.

Thanks.

> While I'm very happy that you are specifying colors in sRGB, so that we
> may start to expect some sort of uniformity across displays, I am dismayed
> to see that only an RGB notation is going to be supported.

Okay.

> While RGB is convenient for machines, and often useful for people who have
> become accustomed to it, in many situations, either the HSV or (even
> better) HSL notations are more useful. Both of these notations are simple
> transformations of the RGB color space, but represent more intuitive
> spaces

I urge you to read the archives of this mailing list [1] for previous
discussions about the non-intuitive nature of HSL  (and HSV).

> - selecting a range of similar colors, for shadows or highlighting.
>   Using these spaces, we simply change the value/lightness or saturation,
>   but keep the hue the same.

The corresponding activity, of changing the hue but keeping the lightness
the same, does not give the intuitively expected results using HSL.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1997Dec/