RE: Selector Readabiliitiy [sic]

On Thursday, December 04, 1997 1:53 PM, Douglas Rand
[SMTP:drand@pobox.engr.sgi.com] wrote:
> >DIV.Chapter P:first-child
>
> > Would mean the first paragraph of a chapter as denoted by a DIV block.
>
> I can't see this as being a good thing.  You need to at least specify
> what the P is a child of.  Maybe P:first-child(DIV.Chapter).  You need
> to do this because there isn't a direct relationship between any pair
> of tags in the selector,  and I think introducing one based on a
pseudoclass
> is a mistake.  Kind of a mixed metaphor.

Ops .  I forgot to specify 'immediate'.  The correct version of in syntax
would be:

DIV.Chapter ~P:first-child

However, I do not see a need to explicitly specify the parent.  The concept
of 'child' implies it is of it's parent, whatever that may be in the
document tree.  And 'first' is implicitly relative to the other child or
that parent, therefore the element's siblings.

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
    http://www.media-electronica.com/anm-bin/anm
      "Everyone a mentor,  Everyone a pupil"