Re: Backwards compatibility of new selectors

On Dec 2,  5:03pm, David Perrell wrote:

> Compatibility issues aside, the syntax of section 6.6 of the draft makes
> little sense to me. The use of the tilde is completely incoherent among 6.6,
> 6.5 and 6.3.1.

Hmm. Several folks have said this.

> Such ad hoc "Netscapisms' should not be in CSS.

They are not Netscapisms. They are an attempt to produce the richer
selection mechanisms that designers often ask us for, while retaining
the possibility of a fast and memory-efficient progressively rendering
CSS implementation

> Wouldn't attribute selectors (section 6.3) offer a better mechanism for
> narrowing context?

They help but they don't allow you to indicate direct parent-child
relationships.

> I'm not convinced your examples are intuitive, but
> something along those lines would be better than unmatched bracketing with
> forward slashes

Yes, folks seem to want a better bracketing mechanism

> and tildes with context-sensitive meanings.

Tilde means a "closer/nearer" operator, regardless of context. Perhaps
that wasn't explained so well.