Re: Backwards compatibility of new selectors

Liam Quinn wrote:
> Why are you trying to imply that CSS1's forward compatibility requirements
> were hidden or ambiguous?  The standard is very clear on this issue.

I'm saying quite clearly that regardless of the requirements the
implementations aren't doing it.  And the corollary is that it
should be done in a way consistent with actual implementation
and usage.  Is that clear?

> CSS1 didn't work with existing software (IE3) when it became a standard.
> Did you tell your rep to vote for it?

Both you and Neil are totally missing the point.  CSS1,  as proposed,
did not make existing software act incorrectly.  It made available
more information for conforming agents to format the resulting
output more nicely without invalidating anything.  The current proposal
for CSS2 selectors is not in the same category,  hence I feel
differently about it.

Doug
--
Doug Rand				drand@sgi.com