RE: HSL Troll...

I believe I spoke first suggesting that we not put HSL in CSS, so allow me
to clarify.

Steven Pemberton [SMTP:Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl] wrote:
>Recently members of the CSS working group have claimed that
>there was no user demand for anything outside of RGB.

I certainly never suggested such a thing, and I didn't hear anyone else
claim there was no demand for any other color model (than RGB).  I believe
there IS demand for other color models - you've certainly proven there are a
number of people out there who like HSL out there.  That doesn't change my
opinion - I don't think we should put more color models in CSS at this time.

I agree, RGB is non-optimal as a way to specify colors for a human - but
it's near ideal for a computer.  I'd like to keep from adding lots of color
models, when their work could easily be done in the authoring UI.  To me,
HSL is only slightly better than RGB for specifying colors - I personally
radically prefer a color cube.  There is absolutely nothing preventing
authoring system vendors from providing HSL or any other color model
representation in their tools.

My argument was based on keeping the "required for decent CSS coverage" bar
fairly low - ideally, you will see CSS support on smaller and smaller
devices (e.g. handheld PCs, set-top boxes, cell phones - hey, it's awfully
useful for stylistic negotiation based on media type), and most of these
devices do not have bits to spare.

Steven, I understand your desire for HSL - you made that perfectly clear in
the Working Group - and I'm not trying to shut you up, but I agree with
Eric: this was not a very friendly way to express the demand for HSL.

	-Chris
Chris Wilson
cwilso@microsoft.com