Re: HSL

Yes, of course. I can estimate RGB, HSL, and hex colors about equally
well. I use a shareware program called Pixel-Spy on the Macintosh that
allows me to capture pixels from the desktop, and converts them to hex,
and I also use color charts. This is how I specify colors.

To me, the 16 color names offered by CSS are not very useful, and I
don't rely on them.

Pantone has a system that is widely used by print graphic artists that
you may be familiar with PMS color chips are used to specify spot colors
on print runs. Still, it's another color-by-number scheme, and doesn't
come very close at all to what a monitor will display.

I think that any number system that accurately describes what is
displayed on the monitor would be more useful that a naming system that
relied on the whimsies of language. If we allowed ourselves, we could
have a palette of reds based on lipstick colors... hmmm
--Darlene