Re: Link colors

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:40:26, "Ian Samson" wrote:
> Hi all.
> Sorry for the cross-post but this has dual relevance.
>
> I hope someone can shed some light on this vexing problem. We are creating
> pages that use a multiplicity of link colors. If, for example, the style
> sheet contains
>
> 	A:link { color : #990000 }
> 	A:active { color : #990000 }
> 	A:visited { color : #C0C0C0 }
>
> then all occurrences of <a href=> within the document should have the same
> colors.
>
> Okay. Now. On the side bar (vertically) we want the links to be "Burnt
> Sienna" { color : #990000 } and the visited link the same color.
>
> Any link inside the body text of the document must have {color:#990000} for
> the active link, and {color:#C0C0C0} for the visited link.
>
> If we wanted to achieve the result through the use of a style sheet only,
> in other words, no "STYLE=" syntax within the <A HREF> tag, how is this to
> be achieved?
>
> Answers will be gratefully acknowledged.

Could you not use a CLASS with the sidebar links? eg

<A CLASS=sidebar HREF="/">Burnt Sienna link</A>

and:

A.sidebar:link { color: #990000 }
A.sidebar:active { color: #990000 }
A.sidebar:visited { color: #990000 }

See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#anchor-pseudo-classes for more
details.

Chris

Chris Ridd                                       C.Ridd@isode.com
Isode Ltd.                                       Tel: +44 181 332 9091
http://www.isode.com/                            Fax: +44 181 332 9019