Re: CSS vs. transitional markup [was: No Subject]

Hakon Lie wrote:
> The CSS1 spec states that UAs *may* choose to honor stylistic HTML
> attributes. If so, the resultant rules should be put at the beginning
> of the author style sheet -- effectively "between" the user's and
> author's style sheet. The reason for placing them there was
> to keep all author's style indications in one place.

OK,  so one solution is to bag it.  Although that doesn't feel right
to me.  The author has made a statement,  and it seems wrong to just
ignore it.  But perhaps the right thing to do if the author has
any sort of style sheet.

> If I understand Douglas correctly, it's not a good idea to put the
> According to cascading rule #2, the headline should be red. The inline
> STYLE declaration should therefor be discarded, but in order to know
> this you will need to rememeber that the declaration in the STYLE
> element is marked "important".
>
> Therefore, I'm not conviced one could simplify implementations by
> changing the cascading order.

Ah,  but making this work isn't all that difficult.  You *only* need
to remember for each property whether it was "important" or not.  I
do that.

I guess that I can see a way to implement what's been spec'd.  I may
just take the easy way out though.

> No, this is not the case. Inherited values are only used if no rules
> apply to the element/property combination in question (cascading rule
> #1). A FONT SIZE will be converted into a rule that applies to the
> element (FONT, or SPAN if you prefer) and therefore overrides the
> inherited value.

Yes,  I believe I was wrong here.  I was confusing the resolution order.

Doug
--
Doug Rand				drand@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics/SSO			http://reality.sgi.com/drand