RE: Issue 4: Text-Indent and DIV

As to the issue behind this - yes, text-indent should be inherited
according to the spec.  Sorry, it's not in IE.  FWIW ($0.00001 at your
local redemption center), I don't believe it should be, which is why
text-indent accumulates in IE3.

>Is it that the browser folks haven't read the specs, or just that they
>don't think it's important enough to the global intranet market
>buyers<
>to bother doing it right the first time?

Yes, I DO read the specs - in fact, I occasionally (like CSS1) help
develop them - but that doesn't mean that my implementation is perfect.
Sorry, we really are trying.  What would be most helpful is if when you
run across inconsistencies with the specification, you would report them
to us.  We have an IE bug-reporting page up on
http://www.microsoft.com/, or you can send
mailto:iexplore@microsoft.com.  These bug reports are filtered through
our testers and entered in our bug database, as well as being CC'ed
directly to some developers (I, for example, title-read all
iexplore@microsoft.com mail).  I know for a fact that stylesheet
bug-reporting to us is minimal - the number of inconsistencies with the
specification we uncover internally far outweighs any external bug
reports, by a ratio larger than 100 to 1.

There is a lot of sub-issues in the CSS specification - not, IMO, a
problem with the spec, just a reflection of the fact that there is a lot
of ground covered by it.  WRT 'doing it right the first time' - sorry,
I'd kind of hoped, when I first embarked on implementing CSS in IE3,
that the spec would get locked down and solidified before we shipped -
it didn't, until almost six months later.  I'd also hoped I would be
able to get more done - I didn't, primarily for reasons of medical leave
I had to take, but also due to other responsibilities.

And, incidentally, I DO make strategic decisions for our stylesheets
implementation - I don't make SHIPPING TIMELINE decisions, but I am
faced with participating in the decisions of which features and bug
fixes to cut.

	-Chris
Chris Wilson
cwilso@microsoft.com