Re: From CSS to DSSSL

At 10:55 PM -0400 4/17/97, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Todd Fahrner wrote:
> > /* horizontal rules are ugly. this replaces them with whitespace, sorta. */
> > HR {
> > margin: 2.5em;
> > border-top: solid;
> > width: 1em;
> > height: 1em;
> > color: #FFFDF3;
> > /* display: none; */
> > }
>
> What is this??? A 1em long line??

It's garbage. This stylesheet is not ready for prime-time. Initially I
defined the HR as a 1x1em mark. Didn't like it. Then I hid it altogether.
But in order to replace it with vertical white-space, I couldn't set its
display to none. So I kludge-hid it by setting its color to that of the
background, and setting a margin (all sides).

What I want is to nuke it altogether and replace it with extra space
separating the before- and after-elements. The semantic significance of HR
is "separator" not "barrier/clutter", so I prefer space....

I'm sure this is making some kind of POINT about the value of
transformation, hm?  :^)

Todd Fahrner

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923