Re: indents

"Fred L. Drake" <fdrake@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> writes:

> I think this is the biggest problem with the current CSS specification;
> it is difficult to specify enough contextual relationship between
> elements to support all reasonable cases.

> A child-of operator needs to be available for selectors, so that we can
> write:
>
>   div.major <child-of> p:first-paragraph { ... }
>
> I see that this was deferred to "later revisions," but that's not very
> satisfactory.  Another possibility, perhaps that should be available in
> addition to rather than instead of the <child-of> operator, would be to
> support grouping and negation:
>
>   div.major <not> div.minor p:first-paragraph { ... }
>
> could be used to specify the first paragraph in the intro to a major
> section (assume <not> is tightly bound).  Also,
>
>   div.major <not> (div.minor div.technical) p:first-paragraph { ... }
>
> would apply to the first paragraph which was contained anywhere so long
> as it wasn't a section targetted for tech-heads buried within a minor
> section; other div.technical elements would not cause the exclusion, and
> p:first-paragraph elements not in a div.minor would not be excluded.  Of
> course, this could be done without grouping with:
>
>   div.major div.minor <not> div.technical p:first-paragraph,
>   div.major <not> div.minor div.technical p:first-paragraph { ... }

   AIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.  Let's examine this - you want a
stylesheet language that has a programming language built in, and complex
selection rules using that programming language.  You just described
DSSSL.  Read the last bit of the CSS spec about:

          We do not expect CSS to evolve into:

          o a programming language

-Bill P.